Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Stolen Earrings

On my husband and I's first dating anniversary we decided to be fancy and buy each other some expensive gifts. A Movado watch for him and diamond earrings for me. It was my first real pair of diamond earrings and I was obsessed with them. I literally wore those earrings every day (including my wedding day) until he surprised me with blue diamond earrings on our first wedding anniversary in St. Thomas.

June 29, 2008 - Our first dating anniversary

May 8, 2011 - Our first wedding anniversary

Being the excitable man that Shawn is, he insisted I wear the earrings right!away! Who would argue with that? So I wore them the rest of our trip and put my old diamond earrings in the jewelry box of the new earrings which was then packed away in my suitcase.

Every piece of jewelry I wear was given to me by my husband and I do not accessorize according to outfits (I know. What kind of girl am I?). With this being said, I never have extra jewelry on trips since I always wear what I will be wearing the entire time. I thought nothing of packing jewelry and have since been scolded by multiple people since apparently, you shouldn't pack anything of value. My bad.

Fast forward to unpacking from our trip back home in Pennsylvania. The jewelry box was there, the earrings were not. I quickly and carefully looked through my entire suitcase and they were no where to be found. Also missing? A full bottle of perfume. AKA: the only two things of value that were in my checked luggage. I could care less about the perfume, although I would have preferred to keep it. But the earrings. My earrings. I was crushed.

One smart thing I did do? The earrings were insured. So I called the insurance company to file a claim and expected to get a check in the mail. Oh. It doesn't work that way? Damn. Next step? We needed a letter from the airline stating we filed a claim for the stolen earrings. Sounds easy? Think again. It took from May until the last day of September to get an email from the airline stating that they couldn't do a thing for us. This is after four phone calls and multiple emails. Almost FIVE months for them to tell us "sorry, we will try better the next time you fly with us". Yeah. Like that's ever going to happen.

So, the airline sucked. Really bad. I spent hours on the phone with them and many tears to get no help. BUT, the good thing? The insurance company did not suck. The email from the airline stating they were unable to help was enough. As of yesterday, I finally have confirmation from the insurance company to go ahead and get some new diamond earrings. They aren't the original ones that have meaning behind them, but at least we aren't out a lot of money. So one out of two isn't bad.

Alright. So now I know. Lesson learned. Do not pack items of value and do insure your jewelry. A nice shout out to Jewelers Mutual Insurance for being helpful and patient while the airline was a big pain in the butt. For anyone who does not insure their jewelry through their homeowner's policy or some other existing policy, I highly recommend them. (I am not paid by Jewelers Mutual and they do not even know I am writing a blog post about them. I am just genuinely grateful to have some real customer service for once!).

So tell me, have you ever had something of value stolen? What was your experience like?

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Sorry you lost your earrings! It's good you had them insured though! When I was engaged I left my engagement ring at a tanning salon. When I first went back to get it they couldn't find it, I freaked! Thankfully they found it later that day!