Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

5K Motivation

As I have mentioned before, I am new to the running world. I'm not in love with it, but I can honestly say I don't hate it anymore. It has, as promised by veteran runners, gotten easier. And some days? I actually look forward to a run.

On Saturday I completed my second 5K. It feels great to know how far I've come. But what I like most about runs? The feeling afterward. Also, the encouragement I get from some pretty awesome people in my life. My husband, my mom, and some great friends I've made through the Internet.

Shawn is a natural athlete. He is agile, fast, and strong... basically everything that I'm not. He is an Army vet and has crazy drive and determination. He has been the best trainer I could ever ask for and has been so supportive of me. He pushes me when I don't want to be pushed. I might yell and cuss and complain sometimes, but I know he has my best interest in mind. And for that, I am grateful. I couldn't have gotten this far without his help. Also? Working out with your spouse is definitely a relationship booster. It has given us something to relate on. We may not always agree on what movie to watch, what store our money is best spent in, or what we do for fun in our free time... but now we have this common goal to live a healthy lifestyle and that? Is amazing.


My mom. How can a girl even start when it comes to how her mom has supported her? Let's just stick to health-motivation for this post so things don't get all sappy. If you asked anyone a year ago if my mom and I would ever run a 5K together you would have gotten a fit of laughter instead of a solid answer. Today I can proudly say that that is no longer the case.

Last year my mom got bit by the work out bug when she signed up to join Shawn in the Tough Mudder. In the middle of her training she had to have major surgery but that didn't slow her down one bit. In fact, it made her stronger. I watched her as she finished a 12 mile obstacle course run last April and I couldn't have been prouder. Since then I've also cheered her on through multiple races, including a triathlon.

About a month ago she invited me to participate in a "casual" 5K run. I figured since I was running an "official" 5K in a couple weeks I might as well try to see how far I still had to go. That day? I ran my first 5K alongside of my mom. She had to slow her pace because of me (she IS 8 inches taller than me, no lie) but she went slower for me. To help me. And seeing my mom running a couple steps ahead of me was quite the motivation. She then ran in my first official 5K with me a couple weeks later. I made sure she ran at her own pace this time, which was fine with me, since I had her there at the finish line cheering for me. What an awesome experience. And this April? We will be completing the Tough Mudder together. No more spectator tickets for me ;)


Katie and Susan are two amazing sisters. Seriously, they've lost over 100 lbs. together this year (for real!). It's safe to say they have not only been a motivator when it comes to Weight Watchers, but also when it comes to running.

Susan ran her first 5K a few months ago, and when I sent her encouraging words via Twitter after she finished, I can distinctly remember her responding that the next one I was going to run with her. She didn't ask, she told. I had been waiting for that push. I needed that push. She doesn't know this, but last year Shawn and I made a Bucket List. On it? I said I wanted to run a 5K. And after her encouragement I couldn't think of any more excuses. So I signed up when I could barely run 1 mile straight. Then I found out Katie also signed up. Katie has also been a huge inspiration to me. I knew it would be an awesome experience to run in the same race with the girls that have been such a huge support for me throughout my Weight Watchers journey. I relate to these girls. They help me, motivate me, and inspire me. And I'm thankful for them.

I don't think I would have made it this far without any of these wonderful people's encouragement. So to everyone that has pushed me, motivated me, and kept me going: Thank you. Whether you are listed here or not, I am thankful for you. Your kind words are greatly appreciated.

If you want, please head over to Katie's blog to read her post on motivators and to see a few pictures from Saturday's 5K. I can pretty much echo everything she wrote, so instead of sounding like a broken record, I encourage you to read what she has to say.

Happy running ;)

1 comment:

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

This is so great! I love that you and your mom can relate on this too! We feel the same about you, ash! Thanks so much for this! Youre awesome :)