Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

Bah Humbug... Kinda

It's that time of year. The time where the Internet world and retail world start buzzing with that C word... yes... Christmas.

Never the mind that Thanksgiving hasn't even happened yet. These days, once Halloween passes it is free reign to start listening to Jingle Bells and start decorating the malls with trees and pretty lights. The problem? I'm sorry. I just don't.get.it. In fact? It bugs me. Go ahead, call me a Scrooge or the Grinch. But first, hear me out.

I don't have to remind most of you that Jesus is the real reason for the season. Yet every year I feel this sentiment gets more and more lost. It saddens me that Christmas is now about presents and money. I watch loved ones stress out, get depressed, and freak out over buying things. I have even suggested a few times in the past that we should skip presents that year yet I get looked at like I have three heads.

So wait, let me get this straight. You're stressing and freaking out about money, yet when I suggest you don't spend it, I'm the crazy one? Oh okay, just so we're clear.

Anyway. I like Thanksgiving. I don't particularly love Thanksgiving food (yet again, I'm crazy right?). But I love that it is a holiday of togetherness without the hustle and bustle of presents. It's a holiday about being thankful and grateful and spending time with loved ones. I really think Christmas should take some notes from Thanksgiving.

Now I know. Once I have kids, my perception might change. I am sure there are few things better than watching your little one's face light up when they open the present they've always dreamed of. In that respect, I get it. Or at least I think I get it. But as for adults? I think we all need to take a chill pill and really remember what Christmas is about. Whether or not you are a Believer, that's your prerogative. Either way, I really think Christmas should be more about togetherness. Celebrating family. If you want to celebrate your family by exchanging gifts, that's great too. But for Heaven's sake don't make it all about that. And please, don't become depressed or anxiety-ridden when you can't spend $200 on every member of your family. At least in my world, that's just not realistic.

So as the C word nears I may or may not lighten up and join in the holiday spirit. But for now? I'm riding the fence of Bah Humbug and trying not to get caught up in all of the holiday drama and I hope that some of you will join me. You don't have to be a Scrooge or Grinch, but you can take a step back and remember the importance of this holiday season.

No comments: