Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Gratitude

My friend Carly started a gratitude journal a while back. I always found it to be such a great and inspiring idea, but just never made it to the office supply store to buy myself a notebook (um, lazy much?).

On September 11, 2011 - the 10 year anniversary of our nation's tragedy - I watched along with the rest of the world tear-jerking video clips, memorials, documentaries, and even commercials that paid respect to the heroes and victims of that infamous day. It really has a way of smacking you in the face and making everyone pull together for our nation, doesn't it? It also served as a great reminder of everything I have to be thankful for and how blessed I truly am. I'm ashamed to admit that sometimes I need a wake up call to make me realize I shouldn't take anything for granted.

This is the day I decided to finally start my gratitude journal. I guess if there was a day worth waiting for, this would be it. So now, every night before I go to bed, I jot down three things that I was grateful for that day. Sometimes it's silly things like a hot shower, and sometimes it's more meaningful like a person or a feeling. Whatever the three things may be, they are a nice reminder of what I have, how far I've come, and where I'd like to go. Not every day is going to be a good day, I know this. But I like that with this journal I am forced to stop and think of a few happy things even after I have a rough day.

Do you have a special way of reminding yourself of what made you happy each day? Do you blog about it, journal about it, or just keep it locked in your memory?

2 comments:

Jenna said...

I love this idea!

Looking forward to reading your blog :)

The Life of Susan said...

i made myself a gratitude journal back in march when my fiance and i broke up. at that point i needed all the help in the world to be grateful for anything... slowly but surely i stopped writing in it though and the other day i finally put it away in a drawer. i think i need to pull it out and put it by my bed, like you said. it's definitely something i have to be more intentional about.

welcome to blogging! yay!