Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Latitude

According to dictionary.com, latitude is defined a couple different ways...

1. Geography .

a. the angular distance north or south from the equator of a point on the earth's surface, measured on the meridian of the point.
b. a place or region as marked by this distance.
2. freedom from narrow restrictions; freedom of action, opinion, etc.
Both of these definitions mean a great deal to me.
I'm a traveler. I'll go anywhere you ask me to go with a smile on my face. One of my favorite places I've ever been is Annapolis, MD.
Downtown Annapolis Sunset

 Annapolis holds many favorable memories for me. It's the first place my husband ever took me on a trip.
One of our first pictures together in June 2007, Annapolis, MD
It's also a place that I've met some wonderful people who have become amazing friends. Annapolis is a different atmosphere and I love the nautical feel and old town appeal. Most of all, it's beautiful. All of the above reasons and more are why Shawn and I consider this one of our favorite places to go.
So one day in 2009 while driving around, we started joking about getting "matching" tattoos. We quickly nixed getting names or dates but still wanted to do something meaningful. We decided on the latitude & longitude of Annapolis, MD.

His ribs
My foot (needs retouching, don't judge)


The second definition of latitude goes deeper than a place and numerical coordinates. Freedom. To me, this means freedom to be who we are truly capable of being and accepting who we truly are. Letting go of the restrictions that hold us back whether they be physical, mental, emotional, whatever. Sometimes our latitude is where we need the most help. It's where we're slacking but have the ability to better ourselves. It's also where we recognize our shortcomings and accept ourselves for who we really are, flaws and all.

Both definitions of latitude include a journey and a destination. One is physical while the other is more spiritual. Both of these are important in my life and I'm grateful for all of my "travels" whether they be external or internal.

What does latitude mean to you? Have you ever thought about it as the second definition?


3 comments:

Jenna said...

cute post. I am obsessed with your tattoos, they looks awesome!

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

beautiful. I am all about the free to be you thing, all.about.it. Love your tattoo's!

Biz said...

I love them! The idea of coordinates tattoos has always been in my mind, for where my girls were born because it was in two different states.